Monday, July 22, 2013

Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

After feeling like we were having the same meals over and over and getting bored with dinner I decided it was time to spice it up and try some new things. So off to Pinterest I went and came up with a stack of dinners that sounded yummy and I thought we'd love.

Stuffed peppers is a huge favorite in this house, but one that doesn't happen often. (I prefer my Grandmother's and if she doesn't cook them, I don't eat them lol.) So when I found this gem, I was very excited to try it because I also love cheesesteak.

And this was the end result:


I did change things up a little though instead of thinly sliced roast beef I used SteakUms (in the package there is two slices of meat per paper, I used 6 of those so 12 slices total) and I don't like mushrooms so I left those out. I also added a little bit of mayo on top of the first layer of cheese and omited the garlic, butter and olive oil.

INGREDIENTS
8 oz. Thinly Sliced Roast Beef  12 slices of SteakUms
8 Slices Provolone Cheese
2 Large Green Bell Peppers
1 Medium Sweet Onion
6 oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms
2 Tbs. Butter
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Tbs. Garlic – Minced
Salt and Pepper – to taste
2 Tsp Mayo
DIRECTIONS
Slice peppers in half lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds.
Slice onions. Saute over medium heat with meat and a little salt and pepper.  Saute until onions are tender and meat is no longer pink.
Preheat oven to 400* ( I stuck the peppers in the oven while it preheated because the first batch I made before Hubby got home, weren't as tender as I like and I didn't want to burn or over cook them by adding longer cook time once stuffed. Once the meat was done I took them out and stuffed them).
Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese.  
Fill each pepper with meat mixture until they are nearly overflowing. 
Top each pepper with another slice of provolone cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown. 
They turned out delicious. Hubby said, "It's filling and tastes better then a cheesesteak sub, unless we are talking a REAL Philly Cheesesteak", which if you know my husband, that's saying alot. He likes his carbs/breads. One kiddo (Blake) did not love the peppers but ate the filling - by golly I think I found ONE thing this kid doesn't eat. Addison on the other hand ate almost all of hers. 
I am also looking for meals that can freeze or cook in the crockpot - these stuffed peppers do not fall into that category but they seriously were so simple to make that I think we'll be seeing more of in this house. My goal with all of this is to eat out less even when our schedules get busy or things get a little complicated with the kiddos, because let me be really honest... some nights trying to cook and entertain them can get interesting.
Follow along as I will be posting more recipes that we're trying hopefully we all won't be disappointed. And PLEASE feel free to share some of your favs too!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites is an easy crock pot recipe. You need:

    1 Beef Roast
    1 Packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 Can Cream of Mushroom (We use Cream of Chicken soup because our roommate doesn't eat Mushrooms. They both work just as well)
    1 Can water

    You can garlic, salt, and pepper to taste, if you'd like.

    Put the soup, soup mix, and 1 can of water in a bowl, and mix it up. Place the roast in the crock pot, cover it with the soup mixture. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Don't be concerned that there doesn't seem to be too much liquid - the fat in the roast will give you plenty to help.

    It's quick, easy, and good. And if you want, you can add carrots, sliced onions, potatoes, and whatever other veggies you'd like in the crock pot with the roast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious! I'll have to try that too, I've got a roast or two in the freezer!

      Delete