Monday, March 18, 2013

Mommy Monday...


Fitness Motivation
Words to Live By


Usually I don't talk about "me" and I especially don't like to talk about my weight, but today I want to devote some time to myself and share the newest part of  my life.

Recently I've made a commitment to get fit. For a million reasons. We've recently decided that yes we are indeed most likely going to TTC (try to conceive) again at some point in the future (grandparents, don't get too excited, it's still a ways off). And when that happens I want to be in the best possible shape that I can be. I feel like that will help ease my mind in knowing that I am doing all I can in regards to preventing another preemie (that paired with a bunch of medical stuff I am sure). I also one day hope that Addison will want to live out my dream and play volleyball or softball (or some sport of some kind - I promise I won't make her play a sport if she doesn't want, but I really really really hope she chooses volleyball ;) ) and I want to be able to coach her team/help her train. Or heck, even coach her cheerleading squad. Something I never got to do, cuz fat girls don't cheer. And who knows there might be a time or two where I'll need to fill in for Jake and coach football for Blake. (Can you imagine?)

The point being, I want to be able to keep up with my kiddos. As much as an almost 30 year old can. (OMG I've only got a few more years of my 20's left!). So, I have vowed that I am going to hit my "happy weight". I don't know what that happy weight is yet, but I know it's less then 195 because that sounds so much better then 200. So far I am only 2.5 weeks into this lifestyle change, but I am learning a lot. (And have lost 7 pounds!)

One thing I have learned is that right now I absolutely have to go to the gym everyday in order to see results. I don't do strength training every day, but cardio is a must. I am also learning that eating out can totally blow calories, and isn't fun when you are counting calories. I've signed up for My Fitness Pal, and it's been very eye opening. It's keeping me accountable because it's forcing me to track my calories and exercise each day. I am learning that it can be done, but that it's hard work. And it would be so easy to fall right back into the old habits.

As the weather gets better I hope to swap some of those "cardio only" days at the gym, for outdoor things. Like taking Addison & Blake for walks in the stroller. And of course trips to the park. I am sure I can burn some good calories chasing two busy toddlers! A down fall of mine though is that a lot of the times I don't feel like I've "worked out" unless I am at the gym. There are a few exceptions like the one time in high school that I tried failed at two hand touch football with the neighborhood boys. Not my brightest idea, although they were gentle with me. I dream of one day saying something cool like "I ran my first 5K", and I think people who can do that are simply awesome. I however, have a very long way to go, and that's OK, because I am making progress.

Which brings me to another point - I don't know that I will ever be super thin. I don't know that I'll ever be able to not go to the gym. (Maybe I will be able to not go every day, but not going at all is not going to work.) I look around myself at the gym and see all these people there, with one goal. To stay fit. There are the hardcore lifters and those just trying to maintain there weight. Sometimes I look at the ladies that are thinner then me and I wonder where they started. Then I remember sweet Ms. S - I met her during one of my first stints at the gym. She was older then me, but man did she give it her all. I remember one day we got paired up together in Boot Camp Class, here she was keeping up with the younger crowd. We were sweating and crying together. People like Ms. S keep things in perspective for me. As long as I show up and give it my all, then I have conquered half the battle.

So the next time you encounter an overweight person, in the gym specifically, don't judge them.(I often feel very judged at the gym. But I admit I am pretty self conscious and insecure too.) Acknowledge that they have showed up, and they are doing something about it. That counts. And... NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE STRENGTH OF A WOMAN WITH CURVES ;)

I've struggled with my weight my whole life, it's not easy for me to maintain my self confidence, but one thing is for sure, after a day at the gym... I know I've got it. I couldn't do this alone though. I've got several friends (and my awesome husband) supporting me. One friend's husband has even let me pick his brain about weight training  routines, calories, you name it - he even checks in on me and cheers me on through his wife. Their encouragement is helping me succeed. You all know who you are. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

This whole thing has also been an important part of taking time for myself. It makes be a better wife and mommy. When I am at the gym, the rest of the world disappears and it's just me and my weight for the time I am there. I leave feeling ten times better then when I walked in. I've finally caught the itch, and admittedly "love" going to the gym. I hope to conquer this battle, and I hope along the way I will inspire others to do the same.

It IS worth it!
It IS worth it!



And I am also going to put myself out on the line and present you with my "before" shot. I hope to update present you with a side by side a month from now, so you can SEE the results!


Now, who's getting healthy with me? Tell me more about your goal and how you plan to get there!

(I am also taking suggestions for great workout music ;) )

8 comments:

  1. You can TOTALLY do this!! I like to work out to "classic" pop music. Nothing motivates me more than some classic Britney LOL Oh and Run DMC "It's Tricky" gets me to the finish line every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omgosh Erin...ummmmm Yeah I may or may not listen to *NSYNC and Britney lol.

      Delete
  2. I am incredibly proud of you, and you have def been inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavy people who work out are still better than thin ones who do not. Kudos to you for recognizing the need to adopt healthier eating and exercise habits. I walk 3 or 4 days a week but that's about it. I assure you that chasing two toddlers around counts for something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Ida. It's a shame more people do not recognize that.

      And yes, chasing two toddlers is by far my biggest calorie burning cardio!

      Delete
  4. You can do it!! The first step is knowing and actively trying. And congratulations on your first 7 pounds! That's amazing.

    I started last year, and have kind of hit a brick wall at this point. And right now, until after the wedding, I am just working on maintaining. I will go back 100% after the wedding. I started at a terrifying 235. I have managed to lose 49 pounds. I started a new medication which made me gain 3 pounds overnight, but I'm not stressing over that. I'm trying to find ways to make that work. My goal is to get down to 160 - that's what I weighed our senior year of high school. My trainer (yes, I splurged for a personal trainer to help motivate me) thinks I can get down to 140. I told him that I would compromise, and we can try for 150. I think 140 is way too thin for my body structure at 5'10". That's another 36-40 pounds. And it's doable. I will zumba, run, swim, and lift my way to that goal weight. Until then, I am focusing on eating well, working out, and generally being healthier. After all, I'm not losing the weight primarily because I think I look disgusting and fat. I'm losing it to lower my blood pressure, my cholesteral, to take all the pressure off my knees, and most importantly, be healthier.

    Good luck! You can do it. You have some great motivation with those adorable twins of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 49 pounds! That's HUGE. Congratulations! Sadly I don't even remember my high school weight but I am betting it was about 180. I can probably count on that.

      You seriously just gave me such huge motivation because I will shamefully admit I weight more then your starting weight just a few weeks ago! So if you can do it, then I know I can.

      I had a personal trainer eval at the gym and right now it's not my style. They were way to aggressive. More aggressive about selling me sessions then anything else. Not saying NEVER, but I am putting that off until I feel a little more fit and need the challenge. Plus I really don't like being told what to do lol.

      I loved Zumba and cannot wait to go again.

      Thanks for the love!

      Delete