Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A new chapter begins....

So it's clear I am a horrible blogger. But I am going to work on that, lol, and I figured what better day to start a new then today right?

Why today you ask? Well because historically today is significant to us, to the babies, and to our story...

A year ago today (Dec 20, 2010) I was sitting on my Momma's couch watching "brainless" TV. with my Grammy. Some baby show on TLC I am sure. I was 18 weeks pregnant had been to the OB the week before and had an ultrasound and routine blood work, things were good. I had called and scheduled a 4-D ultrasound for Dec 21st and was excited because we were hoping to find out the gender of the babies, we had invited both sets of grandparents to attend this big day with us. While we are sitting there indulging in guilty free TV. my cell phone rang, and it was the OB. Instantly my heart dropped, this could not be good.

Sure enough he was calling to inform me that some of our blood work came back abnormal. My AFP (a test that detects possible markers for birth defects) was elevated. According to my OB it's not uncommon in twin pregnancy to have an AFP come back high, and it wasn't alarmingly elevated but he still had to be sure. So he was going to schedule an appointment for me with The Center for Advanced Fetal Care for an in-depth ultrasound and consult with a Genetic Counselor. I needed to call and cancel the 4-D ultrasound for the next day and he would call me back with an appointment date and time.

No more than 15 minutes later I got a call back, he had gotten me scheduled for Dec 23rd.....

Three days seemed like an eternity....

No comments:

Post a Comment