Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Spotlight on Preemies...A Preemie Dad

(Disclosure: This is my husband's response to the questions. He is your "typical" tough guy male & this is what he has to say.)


Who is "your" preemie? (daughter, niece, grandchild, friend) & Tell me a little bit about him/her...

My preemies are Addison and Blake. Blake is just like me... my little buddy. Addison is my little diva, who has gone through so much but yet is growing up so fast.
How would you say YOUR experience with this preemie(s) has effected you?
It's made me mature and live my life one day at a time and soak it all in.
How were you able to handle the NICU experience?
Knowing that while I was at work my wife there with the babies, she could be by their side when I couldn't, and she was constantly updating me and sending me updates and pictures.
Before this experience what did you know about preemies?
Nothing.
What have you learned from all of this?
Never count anyone out...especially a preemie. Preemies at some of the toughest and resilient humans on this earth.
What advice would you give another person in your situation? (as father to a preemie and husband)
Be there for your significant other. Do not be afraid to ask questions, and always trust your heart when making decisions. Lean on your spouse when you need to too.

I also just wanted to say this about my husband. His strength is a HUGE part of what go me through this. We learned together what was truly important in life, he learned to be a little more caring and I learned to be a little more careless. There were times where I felt like he just didn't get it or was being to nonchalant, but I have learned to realize it was his way of coping, and it wasn't wrong. He always gave the best advice and asked a million and one questions in a million and one different ways. Sometimes I think it is because of him that I understood things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment