Sunday, March 10, 2013

Parents of Preemies Day

It is officially 1:37am here on the East Coast, making it "Parents of Preemies Day".

Parents of Preemies Day


And well... I am, Jake is, we are... Parents to not one but two pretty gosh darn, nothing short of amazing preemies. And our world just would not be the same without them.

Being a preemie parent, I learned the ultimate lesson in patience. The patience when it came to waiting... Waiting to hold my babies for the first time, waiting to change that first diaper, waiting to give that first bath, waiting for that firs tiny kiss, waiting for their first cry, waiting for so many things. And who could forget the biggest of them all...WAITING TO FINALLY BRING THEM HOME!

I learned what it meant to have strength and the will to survive. When the odds were stacked against them, I watched as my children fought for their lives. Fought to earn a place, their place, here on earth. I may never know the reason why they had to (or why we had to) endure such heartache and pain, but I do know one thing. It was worth it.

I learned you cannot plan for it all. It was not my plan to have my babies 14 weeks early. I also couldn't plan what obstacles they would or would not face. It was all beyond my control.

I learned what it meant to have faith and courage. More then I ever thought I would ever need.

But more then all of that being a preemie parent has taught me not to take a single moment for granted because even the seemingly tiniest things are miracles, and life is truly precious. In many ways I think being a preemie mom has made me a better mom then I ever thought imaginable.



No comments:

Post a Comment