Thursday, April 18, 2013

We (Addison) Survived

Surgery is over, atleast this one is. It's all in the past now.

A pre-op smile. She wasn't nervous at all.

And let me just tell you SHE TOTALLY ROCKED IT. It helped that we had such a fabulous surgeon too. I got to walk into the OR with her and rock her to "sleep" while singing to her (per the request of the anesthesiologist) - I tried to tell her I'd make her ears bleed but she insisted. Doing that though, gave me some peace with the whole situation. That and this message from an old collegue "Do not be anxious about anything, but in EVERY situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present, your request to God. Phillipians 4:6. All will be well He hasn't brought you this far to leave or forsake you now...praying for all". I needed that reminder at that very moment. We also got a call from our Pastor moments before we walked in to the OR and she prayed with us as well as set the woman's Bible study group on a prayer mission for us before Bible study begun. Addison sure is proof that prayers work.

Hanging with Daddy in Pre-Op

Heading to the OR...

As promised it was all over in about 45 minutes and I was able to go back to the PACU with her the moment she woke up. She needed a few minutes of blow by O2 while she came fully awake but once the anesthesia wore off her stats were back at 100, she drank apple juice and ate some apple sauce. Less then an hour later we were in the car heading home. The very best part of the whole thing was the moment she heard my voice she sat straight up and cried out "MOMMA". Holding her in my arms in that moment made all the world right. It only got better when they told us she was ready to go and sent Hubby and Blake for the car.

Cuddles in the PACU

And Blake, yeah he was a rockstar too. He was so very patience and so concerned. He kissed her and said "Later" before we walked away. Boy was he glad to have his milk cup and some breakfast too though. He was even more excited for lunch when we got home.

How can you not love that pouty face?

(Apparently Blogger hates me tonight so ummm yeah can you say GLITCH? ^^^ But ok it's cute so that makes it ok right?)
Do you see those chimpmunk cheeks? She doesn't even look like she had surgery!

I do have to confess a few things though. The first being that now that it's all over I feel like a crappy mom for ever even remotely doubting just how wonderful she would do. For letting fear take over. I know it's human but I still feel like I should have known she would do this well all along. Why? Because she is BIGGER, STRONGER, and the same BRAVE and FIERCE girl she has always been. The one that defies the odds. I should have known.

That said... I also need to confess how difficult it was to walk back into that hospital today. The smell, that scent of the hand soap. Walking down the same hallways. Having the receptionist put those same (similar) bracelets on all of us. Stepping into an OR that looked oddly (but wasn't) similar to the OR where I had my c-section. All of it brought back so many emotions and memories that I tried so hard to suppress. And it's crazier because we've visited the NICU there TWICE since the twins came home. It didn't bother me then. This is the same hospital where I stood and heard my dad's cancer diagnosis/prognoses and knew he didn't have much time. Life does come full circle, where one life ended - two more began. And today another chapter closed. Tides changed. I walked in to a hospital where two years ago we were on day 68 of Addison's 153 day stay and today I walked in for "same day surgery" for my girl, and walked back out with her in my arms. It's the peace I needed.

God is good. And we couldn't be more proud. Blessed to have such fine medical care at our finger tips and even more blessed to have such positive outcomes.

1 comment:

  1. So cute! Glad it all went smoothly and it's in the past :)