Thursday, May 16, 2013

Bed Rest - Yay Or Nay

A recent article published by USA Today says that some doctors are beginning to challenge the thought that bed rest can prevent pre-term deliveries and can even possibly make things worse.

Many of you who know our story may recall that I spent 6 weeks on strict bed rest at home (with two hospital stays thrown in there) when Addison's amniotic sac ruptured at 20 weeks. Doctors urged exclusive hospital bed rest, but we declined and opted to return home for several different reasons. One of which being that I was at a risk for infection - a risk that was actually GREATER if I remained in the hospital. Even our MFM (High Risk-OB) agreed but because of protocol could not consent for me to leave. At home I would be more comfortable, and less stressed plus other then the once daily fetal heartbeat checks there was nothing more the hospital could offer me. I was warned that delivery before 24 weeks would result in none heroic measures for the twins as well. So what exactly was the point in staying?

I cannot say with absolute certainty that bed rest is what kept me from going in to labor, but when you factor in that pretty much anything I'd do besides lay in bed would increase the risk for infection, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that yes indeed bed rest did buy us another 6 weeks.

Leading up to when my water broke - I was less active then I have ever been simply because I had 0 energy and was literally that sick 24/7. I cannot help but wonder if I had been more active, would that have preventing my water from breaking. Which I know logically makes no sense, because we know that early in my pregnancy I had a SCH (Subchorionic Hematoma) which is very closely linked with pPROM (Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes). So there is no way to say for certain what, if anything could have changed fate.

It certainly makes you wonder...


What was your experience? Were you put on bed rest? Do you think it helped? What are your thoughts on this new study and should doctors prescribe bed rest more or less?

2 comments:

  1. I had hospital bed rest for 5 days. I don't think it helped give us more time, but I agree with the reasons for putting me in the hospital. 1) I had a history of not knowing I was in labor. With my first, I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes and was 8 CM dilated and had no clue I was in labor. Which leads to 2) If I didn't know I was in labor and delivered a 24 weeker at home, his chances of survival were not good. 3) I had a 27 month old son at home. Resting was not an option for a mommy in our home. So, in total, I do think the hospital was the right place for me to be (I again, didn't know I was in labor until late in the process) but I don't think being in the hospital gave me any more days of pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of those are very good points. And to be honest - I have no clue what I would do if faced with the same choice in another pregnancy. And I don't know if I would have done anything differently if I could go back and change it.

      With two toddler's at home, I'd be more apt to say I'd let them keep me. And I do totally realize too that we were lucky in the fact that I knew when I went into labor, I cannot imagine how scared you must have been to find out you were in labor and didn't know it. That could have been me.

      Oh and I sometimes think we were not so wise in our choice, because like you brought up... Having a 26 weeker (or two) at home, would not have been good. We seriously relied on the fact that we "thought" we would have enough time to make it to the hospital. And we did. But things could have went south much quicker and we might not have made it. Sometimes I think we were a little too naive in our choice, but again - whose to say it would have changed the course of fate.

      Thanks so much Tatum for sharing your experience too.

      Delete